Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mutt Tales...

4 posters

:: Entertainment :: Music

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mutt Tales... Empty Mutt Tales...

Post by FinnFreak Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Jim Steinman talks about Def Leppard in interview "Boxing Clever - By Jon Hotten, Kerrang! Magazine 1989:

It was a total eclipse of the charts, and Jim Steinman, the hotshot hitmaker reborn, was chosen to produce Def Leppard's follow-up to their multi-platinum 'Mutt' Lange-produced monster 'Pyromania.'

"It was a weird time," says Steinman. "Mutt Lange is totally insane. He has nervous breakdowns as part of his process of making records! He mixes, remixes and has a nervous breakdown. That's why they're always finished up by his engineers, Nigel Green or Mike Shipley."

"I went to Dublin to meet the band, where they were living in tax exile. They're great kids, but they were like little boys lost."

"While I was talking to them, Rick Allen came up behind me and said, 'I really want to be on this record.'"

"I said, 'Hey! You're the drummer, you'll be on the record!' And then I found out he isn't even on 'Pyromania', it's all machines. He isn't on 'Hysteria' either."

"So we get the drum machine out, like Mutt says, and program it. Rick starts to play along, and he's really good! He was as good as any rock 'n' roll drummer I've ever worked with. So we use all live drums."

"Mutt comes down two weeks into recording, (He had helped the band during pre-production but originally opted out of producing. - Ed.) listens to a little of the drums, which sound perfect to me. And he goes, 'What are you doing? You're gonna throw these poor kids careers' in the toilet!' This was with the drummer right there! So we have to do the drums his way."

"Joe Elliot was the hardest to get along with. He's got a great really low voice, and a great high voice, but he has a real problem in the middle registers. So we start on a verse, and it's in the middle registers and he's having trouble."

"So I said, 'Let's skip onto the chorus to get you going,' because that was higher. It was good, so I say, 'Lets do another track,' and after a while he comes storming in the control room and says 'What the f**k are you doing?'"

"It turns out that when Mutt does vocals, he uses one track and he won't let him go on to the second line of the song until he has the first line right! And he keeps erasing the first line till it's right! Joe was going, 'How am I supposed to feel the song if I'm jumping to the chorus!'"

"It's a very bizarre set-up there. I got sick of it after about four months. Mutt did almost everything. He created them, and they were lost without him."

Billy Squier talks about his album "Signs of Life" (1984) :

"I've always looked at "Signs of Life" as being a pivotal record in my career, though for reasons you might not expect. Going into the project, things couldn't have been better. I'd just come off a great success with the "Emotions..." LP and tour. I'd bought my first home in the city where I'd struggled to make ends meet for over ten years while pursuing my dream of a career in music...the only dream that ever really mattered. I had back-to-back smash records and was on top of the world (or close to it). But things aren't always as they seem.

I'd signed up Robert John "Mutt" Lange to produce SOL. Mutt was really coming into his own, having produced major records for AC/DC, Foreigner, and Def Leppard, and the idea of working together really excited both of us. Several years earlier, before meeting Mutt, I'd had a brief tryst with his wife, whom I met at Tramp's, the famous London night club owned by Johnny Gold. This sort of dalliance was fairly common practice in those days, and I never gave it much thought. As we readied ourselves to go into the studio, Mutt fell behind schedule with The Cars "Heartbeat City" record, so I took the band into rehearsals to start fleshing out the new material I'd written. One day, we were interrupted by a long-distance phone call from Mutt: "Billy, I know all about you and Olga - I'm not doing the record." Just like that, our spectacular collaboration was in ruins. I was stunned. I soon learned that the two of them were breaking up and surmised she must have said something catty, to the effect of, "Have fun with Billy, I did." Mutt is a very decisive and strong-willed person, and when he makes his mind up, that's that. He would not allow us to have a conversation about what had transpired...he just shut the door and walked away."

www.billysquier.com

John - Wink

FinnFreak
FinnFreak

Back to top Go down

Mutt Tales... Empty Re: Mutt Tales...

Post by 70aar Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:46 am

John Parr Interview:

http://www.getreadytorock.com/rock_stars/john_parr.htm

You worked with Mutt Lange on production for the debut Romeo's Daughter album?

Mutt Lange is the king for me, both as a man and as a record producer. I was inspired by him before we met and then getting to do a record together was a privilege very few have had.

The way he nurtured Romeo' s Daughter and helped them develop a style - it was great to be part of that team. I will always remember … Mutt and Craig Joiner were coming in the next day to do BV' s, which meant I was in charge for the day… " What time do you want us boss?" now Mutt Lange saying that doesn' t get much better… but the next day I am pinching myself as I am directing the recording… "Can we go again, it was a little flat" … "FLAT, " said Mutt - not in a loud voice, he never raises his voice…I stood my ground - I reckon it was Craig who was out of tune but to give Mutt his due he never challenged me the rest of the day.

I learned three things from being around Mutt. Alterica coffee (instant but tastes like ground), Chocolate Hobnobs (man they are just great but because he is a veggie he can eat a box) - me, I just got fat. And the final thing I learned…. that he is The Best. I heard it in his records before we met and I witnessed him in the chair making them. What a life I have had.

70aar

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:49 am

In 78-79, Mutt ended up writing and singing all of the songs for Supercharge's Body Rhythm. Here is the song Taxi from the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBPwpIZLzOU

70aar

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:35 pm

This is a reply from engineer/producer Brian Tankersley on a similar thread running on the Paris Users Group. Brian is a very prolific mixer in Nashville, and I love his reply, so I am sharing it here. And I agree with him 100%.
Quote:

"I think it's fairly easy to explain this thread.

You guys listen to records like musicians. But nobody else besides
musicians does that. Therein lies the difference.

And that also explains why musicians tend to hate most of the biggest
selling albums in any given era. Let's call it what it is. Musical
snobbery. Seriously. Think about it.

If you ever loved a movie that some director or critic picked to pieces
(and who hasn't been there), you've been where most of the real world
lives compared to us on their choice in records. They hear with
different ears and are just looking for something they dig. Whether we
think it's "cheesy" or not.

Remember the way you felt hearing records on the radio when you were a
kid? Remember not knowing any better than to just enjoy hit songs?

I've had the pleasure to work with Mutt on a few things. And to my
surprise, when we talked about the philosophy of making records, his was
simple. He loved the way he felt as a kid in South Africa when he heard
hit songs on the radio. The bright spot in his day. And doing the same
thing for other people is his target. All he's really after. The fact
that it pays rather well is a nice bonus, I suppose.

Outside of being the world's most polite guy, Mutt is a consumate
musician and singer. Simply brilliant as a musician, as a writer and
most especially as a producer. His powers of concentration and his focus
blew my mind. And I've worked with more than a few "name brand" people.

But it's his ability to perform and analyze like a monster, then turn
around and *hear* it all like a kid would that is his "secret". He can
still hear it like a kid would. And kids are arguably the most excited
people about music. What makes your musical opinion on pop music more
valid than a 14 year old girl who loves N'Sync? Ain't no right 'n wrong
here. Just taste.

Guys, there's not a musically snobby bone in Mutt's body. And as a
result, a few hundred million people know every lyric to many songs he's
written and/or produced.

I find that very inspiring, personally."

Regards,
Brian T

70aar

Back to top Go down

Post by FinnFreak Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:05 am

FinnFreak
FinnFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by FinnFreak Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:10 am

Where can one read LOADS of articles about mentions of Mutt..?

Here:

http://trevorrabin.net/web-content/Interviews.html

John - Wink
FinnFreak
FinnFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by FinnFreak Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:37 am

FinnFreak
FinnFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:11 pm

I noticed the 4 Non Blondes similarity the first time I heard the song.

Gaga's song Alejandro sounds like it was lifted from the Ace of Base song The Sign.

Listen to Katy Perry's Teenage Dream and the AC/DC song Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and you'll notice some similarities there too.

There are only so many melodies and chord progressions and a lot music seems to repeat itself.

70aar

Back to top Go down

Post by FinnFreak Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Lady Antebellum's 'Need You Now' & 'Eye in the Sky' by the Alan Parsons Project is a perfect example of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS1z2inwJ2o

John - Wink
FinnFreak
FinnFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by faithfully Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:15 pm

He's still a busy sod. Unlike some other music related people Razz
faithfully
faithfully

Back to top Go down

Post by FinnFreak Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:50 pm

Some create music... others enjoy being a celebrity... maybe too much so.

John - Evil or Very Mad
FinnFreak
FinnFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by ravshania Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:59 pm

he has moved on...Wink...
ravshania
ravshania

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:05 am

FinnFreak wrote:Some create music... others enjoy being a celebrity... maybe too much so.

John - Evil or Very Mad

Well, I'm sure there are recording studios in Iceland but doubt she has been in any of them.

Usually when an album is in process, you hear some chatter on music sites but I have not scene any signs an album from Shania is imminent or in process.

70aar

Back to top Go down

Post by FinnFreak Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:34 pm

If there's NOT a "Still The One" compilation by the time the Vegas shows start...

...the brains have left the building.

John - Rolling Eyes
FinnFreak
FinnFreak

Back to top Go down

Post by faithfully Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Think she will credit Mutt during these Vegas performances in any way? cyclops
faithfully
faithfully

Back to top Go down