:: Entertainment :: Music

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mutt Tales...

Post by 70aar on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Mutt Production work with Starship:

Mickey Thomas Interview:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/starship-mickey-thomas-interview-2013/

Looking at the ‘Love Among The Cannibals’ album, the credits indicate that there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen for that album, but it still came together as a really cohesive release. The band lineup had changed with Grace Slick departing from the band prior to that album. It just seems like it might have been a complicated period to put together an album and have it turn out as well as it did.

It was. As you mentioned, we went through lots of producers on that record. I counted one time, I think we used 13 different recording studios while making that record. But it is my favorite Starship record. It’s the record that when I put it on right now, sonically, it holds up and it sounds like a record that could have been made last week to me. A lot of that was Tom Lord-Alge, who produced a lot of it, very cutting edge. Mike Shipley, who was a Mutt Lange disciple [also added a lot]. Mutt Lange actually produced two songs on the album but without getting production credit for it.

He produced “I Didn’t Mean To Stay All Night” and “It’s Not Enough” with Mike Shipley, but Shipley as I said was kind of his protege, so Mutt kind of stayed in the background. But of course his influence is felt on those songs.

That’s interesting, because I saw the thank you to him on the record — and you always wonder what that’s about.

You know, I was always a big fan of the Beatles and the first wave of the British Invasion bands in the ‘60s which is the biggest reason why I even ever started doing this. So I always wanted to record in England and I’d never had a chance to do that. So the song “I Didn’t Mean To Stay All Night,” which Mutt surreptitiously produced and I was telling him that story. So we got the whole song recorded and he said “let’s go to London and do the lead vocal” so I went to London and recorded the lead vocal with Mutt on that one. So I got to record in England finally!

So what was that experience like, working with him?

Tedious! [Laughs]

Yeah, I would imagine!

He’s a perfectionist, but in a very nice way, I mean, he’s not a jerk or anything like that. He’s always very gentlemanly, kind and quiet and soft-spoken….BUT, he will really put you through your paces, you know? I call him the Stanley Kubrick of rock and roll producers, because he’ll want you to sing a line 50 times. You’re out there [recording] line by line and I’m singing [and thinking] what does he want? After about the 50th time, he’ll go “okay, that’s it!” and I’m thinking what did I do different? [Laughs] That’s the same way I just sang it the last 20 times, but that’s the process with Mutt. It requires a lot of patience.

It seems like things fell apart a bit after that album. It’s a shame that things couldn’t continue onward from a recording standpoint, on the heels of that album. Because it seems like there was some good momentum.

Yeah, I think so too. You know, what a lot of people don’t realize is that because the album didn’t really perform like they had hoped it would or as much as the two Starship albums right before it, [it was hard to move forward]. But that being said, “It’s Not Enough” was a Top 10 single on Billboard and was number four on the MTV charts. That song got a lot of exposure, but then after that is when things started to unravel and one thing led to another and a lot of negative things happened and we lost the momentum.

70aar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:12 pm

70aar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FinnFreak on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:35 pm

'I Didn't Mean To Stay All Night' is an excellent track.

John - Very Happy
FinnFreak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FinnFreak on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:50 pm

MelodicRock.com:

TOMMY DENANDER REVEALS LATEST PROJECT

Exclusive news just in from Tommy Denander: "Finally the day I've been dreaming about is here...when I'm able to tell you about the best album I've worked on in my whole career! After having worked on more than 2400 albums with an endless list of big stars it's an amazing feeling to be this excited about a new album. I never thought I would be so lucky that I would get to work with who I consider to be the greatest producer of all time....Mutt Lange!!!

But i ended up getting to know him and to play the guitars on all songs for this album and I've never had more fun...or worked so hard…haha.

Rachele Royale is one of the most incredible new stars I've heard and seen, the world is most likely in for a seriously fun ride with her and this album. Mutt and his absolutely amazing protégé Tony Nilsson spent 2 years writing and producing this album to the level of perfection only Mutt is known for.

The first single "Shush" was released on iTunes in USA yesterday and is already getting heavy rotation on Sirius XM radio.

A lot of people including myself have missed a Mutt Lange album to follow the last Shania Twain album he did....this is not only the natural follow up but so much more, very much thanks to the brilliant work of Tony Nilsson also.

The concept of Rachele's album was to bring back the huge drums and guitars of Def Leppard and combine it with pop and a few country flavors close to what Shania did...It's a wet dream for any Mutt Lange fan and his signature backing vocals are all over every song."

WebLink: www.racheleroyale.com.

John - Wink
FinnFreak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:01 am

Bought it on iTunes - it sounds awesome with a lot of those "moments" in the song.

70aar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:03 am

http://roadtips.typepad.com/a_salesguys_guide_to_the_/2011/08/summer-namm-nashville-tn.html

Both talked about the idiosyncrasies and egos of both producers and artists. Without naming names - except one, Mutt Lange (the iconic producer who was once married to Shania Twain) - they told some great stories of working with producers and artists. Mark (Capps) said, "Mutt is Mutt. He has the magic and it's like his ears are attached to his fingers. But he can be pretty difficult to work with."

Mark told a story about how he was working with Lange on an album in the Bahamas and how he would work 48 hours non-stop once he got in the groove. "He'd call musicians at 1:30 in the morning, getting them up out of bed and say, 'OK, you're on!' ", Mark told us. "Mutt was an animal when it came to recording."

70aar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FinnFreak on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:55 am

...and the results speak for themselves.

John - Cool 
FinnFreak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:07 am

Something from the South Africa Days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYl5ouWXWk

70aar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:44 pm

Rachele Royale (first song) for those who want a listen:

https://play.spotify.com/search/rachele%20royale (better volume)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKuNo-IyH2E (lower volume)

70aar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:10 pm

Californication Music News, Chats with Mark Rivera and Allen Kovac, Plus Johnzo West and David Berkeley Exclusives

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/californication-music-new_b_5131817.html

Ragogna: You guys had a mentor in Phil Ramone, didn't you.

Mark Rivera: Oh, absolutely. Phil is great, but from my personal mentoring, the time that I spent with my favorite producer had to be Mutt Lange. Lange and I go back to a band called Tycoon back in the seventies. I first met Mutt because Clive Davis insisted that we use Mutt Lange on the recording of Tycoon. We were hellbent on using Jack Douglas because he sounded great, but Clive said, "No, no, no, you have to use this new producer Mutt Lange," and we looked at each other and said, "What the hell is a 'Mutt' and who would want to be in a room with him?" We joked around about that and then Mutt and I became incredibly close. We became like soulmates, and to this day, I get emails from him three times a day with little jokes and things. But at the time in '77, he was the first person who actually thought I could sing a lead vocal, and he had me sing two lead vocals on the album, which I was not even prepared to do. Then in 1980, he called me to play some saxophone and sing some backgrounds on Foreigner 4. So as much as I loved Phil Ramone, I owe a great deal of my knowledge of what goes on and what's become my career to Mutt Lange."

70aar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FinnFreak on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:48 am

"But Def Leppard was different.

An average band without Mutt Lange, they were the best in the world with him."

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2014/09/12/hysteria/

John - Wink
FinnFreak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:14 am

Interesting story:

http://nextactforwomen.com/business-and-consulting/inventing-the-cardigan-in-a-pocket-at-50-helens-story/

After I abruptly left college—much to my dad’s dismay—I joined my boyfriend’s band as a backup singer, doing a few local gigs on the weekends. I also took a job as an assistant in a record shop and was soon promoted to store manager. Music always had a huge presence in my life; I had taken piano lessons all through school, taught myself to play guitar, but singing was my real passion. At 19, I moved to London after being offered a job in a record promotion office and later ended up working for a large record label and recording studio, Zomba Music/Battery Studios in Willesden, North London.

withmuttlange1983
With Mutt Lange, 1983

I lived and breathed music; the studio and offices felt like home. It was here that I met my first real love, Mutt Lange, a record producer, songwriter, and also part owner of the studio. He was producing an album by The Cars called Heartbeat City and I got to be part of an amazing music community. One of my favorite memories was sitting at a long table in a London restaurant having dinner with Mutt, Huey Lewis and his band, Bryan Adams, Roger Taylor (drummer with Queen) and an English comedian/actor, Jimmy Nail. It was of course pre-cell phone/camera days, so the evening only remains as a picture in my memory.

When my relationship with Mutt ended after about two years, it felt like it was time to move on from London studio life. Through luck or divine intervention, I gave a tour of Battery Studios to two potential studio owners who were visiting from the US. One of them was a diamond importer from Chicago who was revamping a recording studio in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, and wanted only the most state-of-the-art equipment. After the tour, they asked if I’d be interested in moving to the US and running their studio.

70aar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 70aar on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:58 pm

70aar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down